    SubjectRe: Can you use the USB HID interface within a driver?
    On Sat, 1 Nov 2008, Adam Nielsen wrote:

    > I would rather write the driver in kernel space (so that it "just works"
    > and provides a hwmon interface without installing extra software),
    > however the device already appears to the system as a USB HID device,
    > and so gets claimed by the existing usbhid driver.

    There is a long blacklist/ignorelist in the usbhid driver, for the VID/PID
    combinations that we don't want to have claimed by usbhid driver, because
    there is a more specific one.

    > Is there any way to interface with the HID driver from within another
    > driver? Or will I have to claim the device first (or disconnect usbhid),
    > and communicate with it myself?
    > I've tried to find some example code from a driver that already does this
    > (such as a USB keyboard driver) but I'm having some trouble finding one! The
    > closest drivers I can find are all the ones in drivers/hid/usbhid, but they
    > all seem to be "embedded" in hid-core.c. Does that mean I need to modify
    > hid-core.c to call my driver?

    For 2.6.28, the HID code has been completely refactored, and converted
    into a proper bus, making it possible to write driver easily in a way that
    the driver implements only parts where device deviates from the HID
    standard, and lets the rest to be handled by generic code. I guess this is
    what you are looking for?

    Please look at drivers/hid in 2.6.28-rc1 or newer. There are quite a
    couple of drivers already using this new infrastructure.

    If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to help you, but I will
    be completely offline until 11th November, sorry.

    Hope this helps,

    Jiri Kosina
    SUSE Labs

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-11-01 21:29    [W:0.043 / U:10.464 seconds]