SubjectRe: sysfs: tagged directories not merged completely yet
On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 07:12:03PM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):
> > On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 05:54:24PM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > > Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):

> > > Well the blocker is really that when you create a new network namespace,
> > > it wants to create a new loopback interface, but
> > > /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo already exists. That's the same issue with
> > > user namespace when the fair scheduler is enabled, which tries to
> > > re-create /sys/kernel/uids/0.
> > >
> > > Otherwise yeah at least for my own uses, containers wouldn't need to
> > > look at /sys at all.
> > >
> > > Heck you wouldn't even need FUSE, just mount -t tmpfs /sys/class/net
> > > and manually link the right devices from /sys/devices/virtual/net.
> >
> > Great, that sounds like a solution.
> >
> > So tell me again why we need these huge sysfs reworks? :)
>
> Because :
>
> > > Well the blocker is really that when you create a new network namespace,

No, wait. Why would you want to do such a thing in the first place?

> > > it wants to create a new loopback interface, but
> > > /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo already exists. That's the same issue with
>
> So at least we'd have to do something to allow creation of 'duplicate'
> devices in different namespaces. It might be fine if we just ended up
> with /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo, if created in a child net namespace,
> be named /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo.childXYZ. Then userspace can
> mount -t tmpfs none /sys/class/net and ln -s
> /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo.childXYZ /sys/class/net/lo.

ick.

I agree with Tejun here, what's this whole network namespace stuff, what
problems is it trying to solve and what are its goals?

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2008-10-08 02:45    [W:0.072 / U:9.824 seconds]