SubjectRe: [smartmontools-support] inactive SATA drives won't stay in standby or sleep, PATA models did. (fwd)
(cc'ing linux-ide and Mikael Pettersson)

Christian Mueller wrote:
> The messages I saw on the screen.

If the drive doesn't wake up and times out the smart command while
suspended (which probably is a bug in the firmware but it also can be
the controller's fault), then after the timeout, the driver should kick
in and reset the drive which will wake up the device and retry the
command. It's not the prettiest picture but it's still gonna work. In
Linda's case, it looks like the controller (sata_promise) went bonkers
on hardreset and requires power cycle to get back to working state.
That's why I asked Linda to try another controller.

Anyways, if you're seeing a similar problem, the driver or controller
probably can't do proper reset after timeout and I can't really help
with SAS driver on FreeBSD. :-P

Mikael, the original thread is the following.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.utilities.smartmontools/5842

Any ideas why hardreset doesn't work after SMART command timed out?

Thanks.

--
tejun

  Last update: 2008-10-08 02:33    [W:0.206 / U:0.060 seconds]