SubjectRe: sysfs: tagged directories not merged completely yet
Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 01:27:17AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > Unless someone will give an example of how having multiple superblocks
> > sharing inodes is a problem in practice for sysfs and call it good
> > for 2.6.28. Certainly it shouldn't be an issue if the network namespace
> > code is compiled out. And it should greatly improve testing of the
> > network namespace to at least have access to sysfs.
>
> But if the network namespace code is in? THen we have problems, right?
> And that's the whole point here.
>
> The fact that you are trying to limit userspace view of in-kernel data
> structures, based on that specific user, is, in my opinion, crazy.
>
> Why not just keep all users from seeing sysfs, and then have a user
> daemon doing something on top of FUSE if you really want to see this
> kind of stuff.

Well the blocker is really that when you create a new network namespace,
it wants to create a new loopback interface, but
/sys/devices/virtual/net/lo already exists. That's the same issue with
user namespace when the fair scheduler is enabled, which tries to
re-create /sys/kernel/uids/0.

Otherwise yeah at least for my own uses, containers wouldn't need to
look at /sys at all.

Heck you wouldn't even need FUSE, just mount -t tmpfs /sys/class/net
and manually link the right devices from /sys/devices/virtual/net.

-serge

  Last update: 2008-10-08 00:57    [W:0.164 / U:9.920 seconds]