    SubjectRe: [RFC] API for system clocks (oscillators)
    On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Jonas Bonn <jonas.bonn@gmail.com> wrote:

    >> How does this compare to the framework in linux/include/linux/clk.h?
    >>

    > clk.h is pretty much just an infrastructure for "storing" clock data
    > and accessors... it does not provide:
    >
    > i) Constraints on selectable frequencies of active devices
    > ii) Notifiers on frequency change, including changes due to events
    > such as reparenting
    >
    > These are the big ones that cause headaches. When I want to switch
    > frequency, I have to check elsewhere which devices are active and
    > which frequencies they allow. When a frequency changes, I have to
    > manually make sure that the active devices are notified properly of
    > the change. These are the main things that my document tries to
    > consolidate into one framework. Like I said, I'm not sure it's the
    > right approach, that's why I requested feedback...

    You could probably work those features into the existing clk framework.
    clk_set_rate() could compute the constrains and return an error.
    The API could be expanded with notifier support.

    --
    Jon Smirl
    jonsmirl@gmail.com

      Last update: 2008-10-30 17:43    [W:0.023 / U:29.476 seconds]