    SubjectBUG: mmapfile/writev spurious zero bytes still in the wild
    On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 02:20:49PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    [reminder from way back: this bug was caused by writev containing
    mmaped pages that weren't paged in, it's 64 bit only. It
    particularly affects Cyrus Imapd's database formats]

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > >
    > > Hmm. Something like this *may* salvage it.
    > >
    > > Untested, so far (I'll reboot and test soon enough), but even if it fixes
    > > things, it's not really very good.
    >
    > Ok, so I just rebooted with this, and it does indeed fix the bug.
    >
    > I'd be happier with a more complete fix (ie being byte-accurate and
    > actually doing the partial copy when it hits a fault in the middle), but
    > this seems to be the minimal fix, and at least fixes the totally bogus
    > return values from the x86-64 __copy_user*() functions.

    Has this been revisited since? I haven't noticed, but I really only
    skim LKML - have to save some time in the day for my real job[tm] of
    keeping an email service running!

    > Not that I checked that I got _all_ cases correct (and maybe there are
    > other versions of __copy_user that I missed entirely), but Bron's
    > test-case at least seems to work properly for me now.
    >
    > Bron? If you have a more complete test-suite (ie the real-world case that
    > made you find this), it would be good to verify the whole thing.

    It's been fine for us since, but unfortunately most of the world is
    still running distribution "stable" kernels. I've just been helping a
    user who's getting corrupted flat file databases on Ubuntu's stable 64
    bit xen kernels, and it looks like it's the same issue.

    Is there a standard way to tell backporters "you really need to add this
    patch for your users' sanity"?

    Bron ( I tried reporting it in Launchpad, but kept getting timeout
    errors, so I figured reposting here might get noticed. Besides,
    I can follow up on the "more complete fix" at the same time! )

      Last update: 2008-10-03 14:09    [W:4.649 / U:0.012 seconds]