    SubjectRe: sata errors with Seagate 1.5TB on AMD 780G/SB700 motherboard
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > O> Anyway Seagate (inofficially) claims it's a driver issue in Linux - from
    >
    >> http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=ata_drives&thread.id=2390&view=by_date_ascending&page=6
    >>

    > Well then perhaps they would care to share the information with us 8)
    >
    > The HPA size reporting one is certinly Linux, the flush cache one I don't
    > think is. The fact Mac people report it and Seagate suggest workarounds
    > of the form of "don't use 33% of the disk" don't inspire confidence.

    I suspect that the drive is simply choking on the barrier related cache
    flushing that we do - that seemed to be the MacOS error as well. The
    windows comment suggested that windows had an hba/driver bug (most
    likely unrelated to this).

    If you want to avoid the issue until they fix the drive, you could run
    fast and dangerous (mount without barriers on) or slow and safe (disable
    the write cache).

    >> "We already know about the Linux issue, it is indeed a kernel error
    >> causing the problem as it was explained to me by one of our developers."
    >>

    > Well if they'd care to explain it to linux-ide perhaps we can find a work
    > around. I would be cautious about disabling the write caching as it will
    > harm both performance and probably drive lifetime.
    >
    > Alan

    This looks to me to be a drive firmware issue. I would wait until
    someone can test with their announced firmware upgrade before looking at
    the kernel :-)

    ric

      Last update: 2008-10-29 21:25    [W:0.029 / U:0.092 seconds]