SubjectRE: e1000e fails after several S3 resumes (2.6.26 Debian, TP T60)
Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>> hm, does your kernel have CONFIG_PM defined?
>
> It does have that defined:

ok

>> if it happens again please include lspci -vvv before and after
>> ethtool -r (see below)
>
> I will. Now I'm running BIOS 2.23, so I'm curious whether that
> 'upgrade' fixes the problem.
>
> I say 'upgrade' because now S3 sleep and wakeup often take 60 seconds.
> I've also noticed ACPI errors in the 'dmesg'. Once I have something
> reproducible I'll file a bugzilla report.

ick, it would be nice if the system vendors actually tested their acpi implementations on multiple OSes.

>> device was also claiming successfully transmitting, so I don't know
>> why the DHCP packets don't work, can you tcpdump on the network or
>> the dhcp server by chance?
>
> I'll do that too on the next failure. Is 'tcpdump host 18.38.0.1'
> sufficient or do I need a few -v switches?

I'm mostly looking for the conversation back and forth, so that should be fine.
Keep in mind that the first dhcp packet is usually a broadcast (not to a
particular IP)

>> can you ifconfig eth0 promisc before doing suspend? I'd be curious
>> if that fixed it.
>
> If/when it reproduces, I'll add that line to the pre-suspend code. (I
> use 's2ram', which I think sleeps with 'echo mem > /sys/power/state'
> and does a vt switch on wakeup).

okay, thanks

> Generally: For making debugging go smoothly, is it worth running a
> vanilla kernel rather than the Debian one? I could try 2.6.26.7 or
> 2.6.27.3. Is running 2.6.27.y not as useful as running 2.6.26.y, in
> case the bug is merely hidden but not solved in the new kernel? On
> the other hand, I'm tempted to try 2.6.27.y in case it fixes the slow
> suspend/resume.

I think you should definitely try 2.6.27.y, the e1000e versions in the kernel
are different than what is in ubuntu at least, so not sure if that applies to
debian.

  Last update: 2008-10-24 18:27    [W:0.070 / U:0.060 seconds]