    SubjectRe: [RFC patch 15/15] LTTng timestamp x86
    Date
    On Monday 20 October 2008 04:29:07 pm H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > >
    > > But it's not going to solve the "hey, I have 512 CPU's, they are all on
    > > different boards, and no, they are _not_ synchronized to one global
    > > clock!".
    > >
    > > That's why I'd suggest making _purely_ local time, and then aiming for
    > > something NTP-like. But maybe there are better solutions out there.
    >
    > At the same time, it would definitely be nice to encourage vendors of
    > large SMP systems to provide a common root crystal (frequency standard)
    > for a single SMP domain. Preferrably a really good one, TCXO or better.

    A single root crystal is nice for us software guys. But it often
    also turns into a single point of failure, which the hardware guys
    are always trying to eliminate. So I think multiple crystals are
    inevitable for the really large machines.

    Bjorn

      Last update: 2008-10-21 20:13    [W:0.043 / U:30.428 seconds]