Subjectpoll() blocked / packets not received ?
Hello,

We have an application that uses pthreads and (blocking) sockets.

When the application runs with one single thread in separate processes
(using fork()) we don't get any problem.

However when it's multithreaded, we sometimes get stuck while poll()ing
a socket (with events set to POLLIN). Even after the other side of the
connection has closed its side of the connection, we are still stuck
here. Adding a timeout only makes the poll() exit with 0, so we loop.

In case we don't loop the next operation is a recv() which will block as
well (which is consistent).

It seems like nothing is longer received on the socket but it's
difficult to verify with tcpdump since our server outputs something like
15MB at peek time with 150 hits per seconds.

We have Shorewall installed and enabled, but what seems strange is that
the problem depends on multithreading. It also occurs much more often on
the 4 core machines than on a 2 core ones (both with Hyperthreading
activated). We're using kernel 2.6.20-15-server (#2 SMP) provided by Ubuntu.

Any tip on we could fix that or investigate further would be
appreciated. After one month of debugging we're really out of solution now.

Best,
Nicolas

  Last update: 2008-10-20 10:27    [W:0.050 / U:0.116 seconds]