SubjectRe: iwlagn: associating with AP causes kernel hiccup
Richard Scherping wrote:
> Tomas Winkler schrieb:

>>> I have a similar problem here. No crash up to now, but the very same "hang" for a few seconds on "ifconfig wlan0 down". Interestingly this does only happen after a normal boot - once I did a suspend and resume (S3), there is no hang anymore.
>>>
>>> Hardware: Thinkpad T61p with Intel 4965 agn
>>> Software: Debian Lenny x86_64 with vanilla 2.6.27 kernel
>>>
>> Driver in 2.6.27 is not stable, please try to reproduce this in
>> current wireless-testing.git.
>
> I do not have the time to compile and test wireless-testing ATM, sorry.
>
> In fact I am annoyed by the fact that iwlagn is "known to be unstable" in a stable kernel release and that this even seems to be a totally normal thing...

Amen. This driver has been available and more-or-less working for ages.
What kernel am I supposed to run if I just want a stable system?
Haven't found one yet, other than distro kernels...

In any case, I've seen these complete system hiccups with iwl4965 and
iwlagn since at least 2.6.25 and through quite a few wireless-testing
versions. I bet that this, along with things like it, is the culprit:

In many, many functions:
spin_lock_irqsave(&priv->lock, flags);
ret = iwl_grab_nic_access(priv);

In iwl-io.h (2.6.26.something):
static inline int _iwl_grab_nic_access(struct iwl_priv *priv)
{
ret = _iwl_poll_bit(priv, CSR_GP_CNTRL,
CSR_GP_CNTRL_REG_VAL_MAC_ACCESS_EN,
(CSR_GP_CNTRL_REG_FLAG_MAC_CLOCK_READY |
CSR_GP_CNTRL_REG_FLAG_GOING_TO_SLEEP), 50);
}

static inline int _iwl_poll_bit(struct iwl_priv *priv, u32 addr,
u32 bits, u32 mask, int timeout)
{
int i = 0;

do {
if ((_iwl_read32(priv, addr) & mask) == (bits & mask))
return i;
mdelay(10);
i += 10;
} while (i < timeout);

return -ETIMEDOUT;
}

Polling the hardware waiting for firmware to do something *with IRQs
disabled*? I'd really rather the drivers on my system didn't do this.

I'd attempt to fix this myself, but I have no clue what the locking
rules are supposed to be.

Would I be out of line for wishing the iwlwifi developers would fix
longstanding issues (latency and maybe horkage after resume, although
the latter seems much improved lately) before adding fancy new things?

--Andy

  Last update: 2008-10-19 17:31    [W:0.075 / U:1.720 seconds]