SubjectRe: GPL question: using large contiguous memory in proprietary driver.
Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Chris Friesen <cfriesen@nortel.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>>

>>> I have the following question. Suppose that some proprietary
>>> driver (otherwise completely clean, based only on non-GPL
>>> symbols)
>>
>> The fact that it's not using GPL symbols does not actually mean
>> that the driver is not a derivative work of the kernel (and thus
>> subject to the GPL).
>

> But thanks to the gracious tolerance of the kernel development
> community, such drivers are permitted to exist.

If you're thinking of something like the Nvidia driver, the binary
portion of that driver is cross-platform and is not a derivative work of
the kernel.

If you sit down and write a new driver for linux, is is arguable that it
is in fact a derivative work of the kernel and is thus subject to the GPL.

This may of course vary based on location, but I strongly suggest that
you consult suitable legal advice before proceeding.

Chris

  Last update: 2008-10-15 04:39    [W:0.128 / U:0.788 seconds]