SubjectRe: Distributed storage release.
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 02:35:29PM -0600, Andreas Dilger (adilger@sun.com) wrote:
> > Like Scsi_Host and include/scsi/scsi_host.h? My favourite coding style
> > standards! It has the same space issues I have, but my code does not use
> > capital letters :)
>
> I totally agree - this is a sign that in the past the kernel didn't follow
> the coding style closely enough and now we have a mishmash of code styles.
> That doesn't mean that new code should also contribute to that mess, but
> that old code should be cleaned up - as it is updated.

Ext4 is a very new code :)
There are several lines which exceed 80 columns, which are actually
comments, just what was blamed by the checkpatch.pl only. Really, no one
cares about them.

> > I always wondered... I submit almost 5 thousands line of code and I'm
> > blamed that I do not have or have too many spaces in several dozens of
> > lines. Should I get it as kernel hackers can not say anything bad about
> > project except amount of spaces?
>
> I was only commenting about your refusal to change the code style when
> Andrew asked it of you. There are good reasons to have a standard code
> style for large projects even if it isn't everyone's preferred style.

That's what I meant :) Actually all other signs from The God of
Checkpatch were sacrificed long ago, there are just several spaces
and braces: let them be a small group of heathens at this religion time.

Standards are great, but killing a child just because he or she is
left-hander, is a bit crazy, don't you think? So it would be quite
interesting to hear that (at least one) showstopper for inclusion
is a number of spaces :)

Of course this is stupid. Pointing to the ext4 with spaces is stupid.
Taking care about what no one ever cares and make that to be a
something significant is stupid. Making a religion out of checkpatch.pl
output is actually great. As great as counting number of steps to the
street corner and making that meaning of the life. Or at least a ground.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov

  Last update: 2008-10-14 23:11    [W:0.069 / U:0.304 seconds]