SubjectRe: Distributed storage release.
On Oct 14, 2008  20:12 +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 09:51:43AM -0600, Andreas Dilger (adilger@sun.com) wrote:
> > While it is true that one coding style vs. another could be argued for
> > a long time - the right answer is that the _right_ coding style for code
> > added to the Linux kernel is Linus' CodingStyle document.
> >
> > Whether you think the braces here or there look better - consistency
> > with other code in the same project is very important, and any changes
> > you get to your code will come in the Linus CodingStyle and this will
> > result in code that is a mix between your personal style and the official
> > style and it will be a mess...
>
> Like Scsi_Host and include/scsi/scsi_host.h? My favourite coding style
> standards! It has the same space issues I have, but my code does not use
> capital letters :)

I totally agree - this is a sign that in the past the kernel didn't follow
the coding style closely enough and now we have a mishmash of code styles.
That doesn't mean that new code should also contribute to that mess, but
that old code should be cleaned up - as it is updated.

> I always wondered... I submit almost 5 thousands line of code and I'm
> blamed that I do not have or have too many spaces in several dozens of
> lines. Should I get it as kernel hackers can not say anything bad about
> project except amount of spaces?

I was only commenting about your refusal to change the code style when
Andrew asked it of you. There are good reasons to have a standard code
style for large projects even if it isn't everyone's preferred style.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group

  Last update: 2008-10-14 22:39    [W:1.357 / U:1.756 seconds]