SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.27-git3: rtl8169 oops and wireless missing symbols
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 01:44:06AM +0200, J.A. Magallón wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:24:33 -0400, "John W. Linville" <> wrote:

> > bool "Old wireless static regulatory definitions"
> >
> > Is this not clear enough?
> >
> NO.
> I'm a complete literate in wireles internals. Not in other areas. And I
> don't undestand a word about regulations and so on. The only thing
> I see there is 'OLD WAY of doing things', so I disable it. I expect
> two things:

You blindly disable things because they say "old", you don't update
anything in your userland, and then you expect things to work?

> - As it is an optional thing I can toggle, no driver depends on it.
> - If I choose a driver that depends on it, it will get automagically
> selected.

And this fits neither of your scenarios. The drivers will work just
fine with the code as you built it -- even better if you update your
userland with the required component.

The problem is that you were setting a module option that no longer
existed because you didn't want to do things the "old" way. Should we
support a useless module option, even when you expressly disable the
compatibility option that provides it?

> So, please, if migration is not finished:
> - Default it as Y, or add a depend on every driver that uses it
> - Hide it under the famous 'crazy hacker-only things' boolean

Neither of these are necessary -- just stop specifying the module
option that doesn't exist, or simply enable the compatibility option
in the kernel.

> It is enough to have to choose between mac80211 and ieee80211.

Perhaps we should change the name of "ieee80211" to

John W. Linville Linux should be at the core of your literate lifestyle.