    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.27-git3: rtl8169 oops and wireless missing symbols
    On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 01:44:06AM +0200, J.A. Magallón wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:24:33 -0400, "John W. Linville" <linville@tuxdriver.com> wrote:

    > > config WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY
    > > bool "Old wireless static regulatory definitions"
    > >
    > > Is this not clear enough?
    > >

    > NO.
    >
    > I'm a complete literate in wireles internals. Not in other areas. And I
    > don't undestand a word about regulations and so on. The only thing
    > I see there is 'OLD WAY of doing things', so I disable it. I expect
    > two things:

    You blindly disable things because they say "old", you don't update
    anything in your userland, and then you expect things to work?

    > - As it is an optional thing I can toggle, no driver depends on it.
    > - If I choose a driver that depends on it, it will get automagically
    > selected.

    And this fits neither of your scenarios. The drivers will work just
    fine with the code as you built it -- even better if you update your
    userland with the required component.

    The problem is that you were setting a module option that no longer
    existed because you didn't want to do things the "old" way. Should we
    support a useless module option, even when you expressly disable the
    compatibility option that provides it?

    > So, please, if migration is not finished:
    >
    > - Default it as Y, or add a depend on every driver that uses it
    > - Hide it under the famous 'crazy hacker-only things' boolean

    Neither of these are necessary -- just stop specifying the module
    option that doesn't exist, or simply enable the compatibility option
    in the kernel.

    > It is enough to have to choose between mac80211 and ieee80211.

    Perhaps we should change the name of "ieee80211" to
    "old_ipw2x00_support_crap"?

    John
    --
    John W. Linville Linux should be at the core
    linville@tuxdriver.com of your literate lifestyle.