SubjectRe: [TuxOnIce-devel] safe resuming: automatically invalidating an outdated hibernate snapshot
Am Montag, 13. Oktober 2008 schrieben Sie:
> Hi Martin.

Hi Nigel,

> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 12:13 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Cc to linux-kernel: This is mainly for tuxonice, but it might also be
> > relevant for other hibernate implementations. Maybe some general
> > mechanism for checking whether an on disk snapshot of the system is
> > current would be good - as also the resume parameter could be missing or
> > wrong or whatnot.
> >

> > Hi!
> >
> > Is there a way to automatically invalidate the tuxonice snapshot when a
> > non tuxonice kernel is booted accidentally? I.e. could tuxonice recognize
> > when the swap partition has been accessed *after* the snapshot has been
> > written?

[...]

> The simplest way is to mkswap the appropriate partitions from a script
> run when booting (after we check whether to resume, of course). I
> believe the hibernate script already has support for this. Maybe
> pm-utils or such like needs it too?

Simple idea. But I dislike automatically formatting a partition on each boot.
What if the user changes the partition layout and forgets to adapt swap
partition / resume parameter? AFAIR only mkfs.xfs really checks whether the
partition contains an existing filesystem and even that check does cannot
trigger in case an undetected filesystem is on the partition.

Thus I'd prefer a way to touch the swap partition without destroying its
contents and then checking whether it has been touched after the snapshot has
been written. I would then like to have it touched on every bootup on the
Linux system. Would something along these lines be possible?

Ciao,
--
Martin Steigerwald - team(ix) GmbH - http://www.teamix.de
gpg: 19E3 8D42 896F D004 08AC A0CA 1E10 C593 0399 AE90

  Last update: 2008-10-13 13:39    [W:0.408 / U:0.416 seconds]