SubjectRe: [TuxOnIce-devel] safe resuming: automatically invalidating an outdated hibernate snapshot
Hi Martin.

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 12:13 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Cc to linux-kernel: This is mainly for tuxonice, but it might also be relevant
> for other hibernate implementations. Maybe some general mechanism for
> checking whether an on disk snapshot of the system is current would be good -
> as also the resume parameter could be missing or wrong or whatnot.
>

> Hi!
>
> Is there a way to automatically invalidate the tuxonice snapshot when a non
> tuxonice kernel is booted accidentally? I.e. could tuxonice recognize when
> the swap partition has been accessed *after* the snapshot has been written?
>
> It happened here several times that someone booted the wrong kernel and then
> someone else booted the right one again. TuxOnIce would then resume from a
> snapshot that it not up-to-date anymore. This leads to filesystem breakage as
> the filesystem slab objects and other in memory structures would not
> represent the current state of the filesystem on disk. xfs_repair did a
> marvellous job on these occassions and I already changed menu.lst to hide the
> GRUB boot menu by default, but it would be better if this case of
> maloperation can be intercepted.

The simplest way is to mkswap the appropriate partitions from a script
run when booting (after we check whether to resume, of course). I
believe the hibernate script already has support for this. Maybe
pm-utils or such like needs it too?

Nigel

  Last update: 2008-10-13 13:25    [W:0.047 / U:0.152 seconds]