SubjectRe: [RFC patch 2/5] genirq: add a quick check handler
On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 23:02 +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> struct irqaction {
> + irq_handler_t quick_check_handler;
> irq_handler_t handler;

When we originally discussed this, there was an idea to modify the
request_irq API to take this handler and an IRQF_THREADED type to mark
the interrupt accordingly. I understand why it's a separate function in
this implementation for ease of migration, but what do you think should
happen in the end? Also, I suggest calling this something like
"quiesce_device" because the quickcheck also needs to do that.

We probably need some documentation eventually so people realize what
this "quickcheck" handler is for and what it's not for - under no
circumstances should anything more than the bare minimum be done.
Otherwise it breaks the benefit of deferred threaded handling. It's hard
to enforce that - but this is *not* a return of top/bottom half handling
where you can do whatever crap you like in the quickcheck bit.

Jon.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans