    SubjectRe: [RFC patch 2/5] genirq: add a quick check handler
    On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 23:02 +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

    > struct irqaction {
    > + irq_handler_t quick_check_handler;
    > irq_handler_t handler;

    When we originally discussed this, there was an idea to modify the
    request_irq API to take this handler and an IRQF_THREADED type to mark
    the interrupt accordingly. I understand why it's a separate function in
    this implementation for ease of migration, but what do you think should
    happen in the end? Also, I suggest calling this something like
    "quiesce_device" because the quickcheck also needs to do that.

    We probably need some documentation eventually so people realize what
    this "quickcheck" handler is for and what it's not for - under no
    circumstances should anything more than the bare minimum be done.
    Otherwise it breaks the benefit of deferred threaded handling. It's hard
    to enforce that - but this is *not* a return of top/bottom half handling
    where you can do whatever crap you like in the quickcheck bit.

    Jon.

      Last update: 2008-10-02 02:51    [W:0.025 / U:149.772 seconds]