SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE]: ConfigFS enabled Generic Target Mode and iSCSI Target Stack on v2.6.27-rc7
On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 17:18 -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> [...]
> complete $FABRIC_MOD's registration with the configfs generic target
> core. This means that startup now looks like:
>
> modprobe target_core_mod
>
> export CONFIGFS=/sys/kernel/config/
> export TARGET=/sys/kernel/config/target/core/
> export FABRIC=/sys/kernel/config/target/iscsi/
>
> mkdir -p $TARGET/iblock_0/lvm_test0
> echo iblock_major=254,iblock_minor=2 >
> $TARGET/iblock_0/lvm_test0/dev_control
> echo 1 > $TARGET/iblock_0/lvm_test0/dev_enable
>
> mkdir -p $TARGET/pscsi_0/sdd
> echo scsi_channel_id=0,scsi_target_id=3,scsi_lun_id=0 >
> $TARGET/pscsi_0/sdd/dev_control
> echo 1 > $TARGET/pscsi_0/sdd/dev_enable
>
> DEF_IQN="iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.target.i686:sn.e475ed6fcdd0"
>
> # The first mkdir(2) to $FABRIC will load iscsi_target_mod
> mkdir -p "$FABRIC/$DEF_IQN/tpgt_1/np/172.16.201.137:3260"
>
> <snip>
>
> This line will modprobe iscsi_target_mod, create iscsi_tiqn_t,
> iscsi_portal_group_t, and iscsi_tpg_np_t objects with a single mkdir(2)
> call.
>
> Many thanks to Joel Becker for recommending the request_module() usage!
>
> > Also, one of the next major steps for the upstream generic target engine
> > and iSCSI target stack is to include SCST's target mode API between
> > Engine / Fabric to give target_core_mod a proper Fabric API to allow
> > other SCST fabric modules to access target_core_mod's configfs enabled
> > storage objects. Also, allowing STGT to use the configfs interface to
> > allow for userspace fabrics to the same target_core_mod storage objects
> > is also on the list, but I imagine interest from those communities will
> > certainly help drive those efforts.
> >

> So at this point, I believe all (or very close to all) iSCSI target
> related functions are now outside of target_core_mod. There are a few
> more file and function names that need to have their prefixes changed,
> but other that a handful of this minor bits, things are getting close
> installing the SCST Target API between $FABRIC_MOD <->
> $TARGET_CORE_MOD.
>
> Also, I was thinking a bit more about how things show up under $TARGET,
> which is /sys/kernel/config/target/core. With the current code,
> parameters are passed it for all target_core_mod subsystem plugins (eg:
> the ones to drivers/scsi, block/ or fs/. One thing I was thinking about
> for struct scsi_device and struct block_device storage objects that
> appear under /sys/block (or any SysFS location that eventually leads
> back to a struct scsi_device) would be to create a symbolic link from
> say /sys/block/sdd to ConfigFS at say $TARGET/core/pscsi_0/sdd, so we
> could drop the echo scsi_channel_id=0,scsi_target_id=0,scsi_lun_id=0 >
> $TARGET/pscsi/sdd/dev_control stuff..
>
> I know that ConfigFS today does not allow symlinks to non ConfigFS
> filesystems, but perhaps this would be a special case between ConfigFS
> <-> SysFS to order to deliver struct scsi_device for $TARGET/pscsi_* and
> struct block_device to $TARGET/iblock_* generic storage objects..?

This last part should be:

".. a special case between ConfigFS <-> SysFS in order to deliver struct
scsi_device and struct block_device via SymLinks to
$TARGET/pscsi_*/$STORAGE_OBJECT and
$TARGET/iblock_*/$STORAGE_OBJECT respectively.

>From there, $STORAGE_OBJECT would be SymLinked again to $PORT_LINK at:
ln -s $TARGET/$PLUGIN_HBA/$STORAGE_OBJECT
$FABRIC/endpoint/lun/lun_0/lio_west_port

--nab

> What do you think..? Joel or Greg KH..?
>
> --nab

  Last update: 2008-10-02 02:41    [W:0.074 / U:0.180 seconds]