    SubjectRe: [RFC] CPUID usage for interaction between Hypervisors and Linux.
    Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
    > Alok Kataria wrote:
    > I guess, but the bulk of the uses of this stuff are going to be
    > hypervisor-specific. You're hard-pressed to come up with any other
    > generic uses beyond tsc.

    And arguably, storing TSC frequency in CPUID is a terrible interface
    because the TSC frequency can change any time a guest is entered. It
    really should be a shared memory area so that a guest doesn't have to
    vmexit to read it (like it is with the Xen/KVM paravirt clock).

    Anthony Liguori

    > In general, if a hypervisor is going to put something in a special
    > cpuid leaf, its because there's no other good way to represent it.
    > Generic things are generally going to appear as an emulated piece of
    > the virtualized platform, in ACPI, DMI, a hardware-defined cpuid leaf,
    > etc...

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-10-01 23:37    [W:0.029 / U:9.228 seconds]