SubjectRe: [JANITOR PROPOSAL] Switch ioctl functions to ->unlocked_ioctl
Date
On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > Thanks, Andi! I think it'd very useful change.
>
> Reminds me this is something that should be actually flagged
> in checkpatch.pl too
>
> Andy, it would be good if checkpatch.pl complained about .ioctl =
> as opposed to .unlocked_ioctl = ...

This is rather hard, as there are different data structures that
all contain ->ioctl and/or ->unlocked_ioctl function pointers.
Some of them already use ->ioctl in an unlocked fashion only,
so blindly warning about this would give lots of false positives.

> Also perhaps if a whole new file_operations with a ioctl is added
> complain about missing compat_ioctl as a low prioritity warning?
> (might be ok if it's architecture specific on architectures without
> compat layer)

Also, not every data structure that provides a ->ioctl callback
also has a ->compat_ioctl, although there should be fewer exceptions
here.

Arnd <><

  Last update: 2008-01-09 01:43    [W:0.047 / U:0.480 seconds]