SubjectRe: sleep before boot panic
Date
On Monday 07 January 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Bernd Schubert <bernd-schubert@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just switched to libata (pata) on my laptop and the immediate panic made it
> > impossible to figure out why my boot partition wasn't available.
> > After applying this little patch I could check boot printk output and then saw
> > everything was properly recognized and only scsi-disk support was missing.
>
> The correct fix would be to make scroll back (and sysrq) still work
> after panic. It's a little more complicated, but possible (essentially
> it needs a polled keyboard handler)

Customer: "This system could not find the root fs."
Support: "Oh, yeah, just connect a (USB-) keyboard and scroll back."

Hmm, device detection works after panic?

I really like the "soft" panic better, where you still can operate the
kernel debugging features, but just have no user space supporting it.

One better hopes, that keyboards never need external firmware to be loaded
at this stage :-)

Best Regards

Ingo Oeser, who just hit the same problem yesterday...

  Last update: 2008-01-08 07:19    [W:0.058 / U:0.884 seconds]