SubjectRe: Size of kernel halts startup
Hi!

>4) Yesterday, I have done a menuconfig and turned on some drivers (USB HID and I2C). \
>This resulted in a kernel size of about 1.4MB.

if you saved your old .config you could add those features one after the other to see if it`s size related....

>5) Booting up this 1.4MB kernel over NFS causes a register dump to appear and the \
>system is halted.
>Is this issue related to the size of the kernel or it is due to some conflict in \
>memory ?

hard to tell without any further information on this.

>If it is related to size of kernel, how can the size be increased so as to resolve \
>this issue ?

i assume you meant decrease!?

get a in-depth knowlegde about all the different config options and decide if you need it or not.

maybe after compile, some
find . -name "*.o" |while read file;do ls -s $file;done |sort -n
will help identifying parts of the kernel which take up most of the space

maybe CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y helps, too.

furthermore, there are projects like http://www.selenic.com/linux-tiny/ to make kernel small for embedded systems.

a nice (but more generic) article about downsizing linux for embedded system is at http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9686

i think these mailing lists provide better help since it`s more likely to meet people there who develop for ARCH=arm

http://marc.info/?l=linux-arm&r=1&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-arm-kernel&r=1&w=2

regards
roland

>Appreciate any help and advises.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Sim CK

>List: linux-kernel
>Subject: Size of kernel halts startup
>From: cksim <cksim () singnet ! com ! sg>
>Date: 2008-01-07 3:28:29
>[Download message RAW]
>
>Hi,
>
>Yesterday, I have encountered an issue when the kernel size is more than 1.3MB.
>
>Info on problem encountered as follows:
>1) I am using Atmel AT91SAM9261 part. Circuit similar to that of AT91SAM9261EK
>evaluation board.
>
>2) I am booting the kernel through NFS. Bootloader
>used is UBoot 1.1.5. Kernel used is 2.6.23.1
>
>3) For the past weeks, the kernel size was about 1.3MB and kernel bootup over NFS was \
>fine.
>
>4) Yesterday, I have done a menuconfig and turned on some drivers (USB HID and I2C). \
>This resulted in a kernel size of about 1.4MB.
>
>5) Booting up this 1.4MB kernel over NFS causes a register dump to appear and the \
>system is halted.
>
>Is this issue related to the size of the kernel or it is due to some conflict in \
>memory ?
>
>If it is related to size of kernel, how can the size be increased so as to resolve \
>this issue ?
>
>Appreciate any help and advises.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Sim CK
Jetzt testen! http://produkte.web.de/club/?mc=021130

  Last update: 2008-01-07 12:47    [W:0.044 / U:0.888 seconds]