SubjectRe: PATCH/RFC: bzImage payload as compressed ELF file.

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 15:20 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:
> >
> > What would be the preferred way of allowing bootloaders/domain builders
> > to find the compressed payload? Tacking the offset from the end onto the
> > end as I have done for the moment seems pretty skanky...
> >

> As Jeremy already mentioned, putting a pointer to the compressed ELF
> image in the bzImage header (and bumping the version number to 2.08) is
> the right way to go about it. The compression format (for now, always
> gzip) can then be identified in the usual way via compression format
> magic number.
>
> As I've previously expressed, I'm much happier with this approach than
> having the compressor portion itself be an ELF image, so I'm happy to
> see this patch. However, I think it needs to ride a cycle in -mm, so
> although I didn't see any problems from a cursory look I might not get a
> chance to do a detailed review until the merge window is over.

That's good enough for me -- I shall press on...

Cheers,
Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

Pascal:
A programming language named after a man who would turn over
in his grave if he knew about it.
-- Datamation, January 15, 1984

  Last update: 2008-01-29 10:35    [W:0.197 / U:0.800 seconds]