SubjectRe: ndiswrapper and GPL-only symbols redux

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 01:35 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Jan 29 2008 19:20, Jon Masters wrote:

> >Another fix would be for ndiswrapper to explicitly set the taint when it
> >loads a tainted driver? Or do we just want to go back to globally
> >"tainting" the kernel without assigning the blame to any module?
>
> I think the global taint flag is always needed because you never know
> what the proprietary module actually did to our memory. Unloading
> the driver and ndiswrapper should retain some sort of taintedness
> should it oops much later.

It will. The module taint variant also sets the global taint. But it
helps to know why you set that if you oops now and get a list of
modules. Yeah, we know about ndiswrapper, I just mean in general.

Man, that'll teach me to send one-liners without checking the entire
history of LWN stories beforehand. I'm going to the gym to escape :)

Jon.

  Last update: 2008-01-30 01:51    [W:0.129 / U:0.188 seconds]