    SubjectRe: Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel
    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:31:52 -0800
    Roland Dreier <rdreier@cisco.com> wrote:

    > > . . STGT read SCST read . STGT read SCST read .
    > > . . performance performance . performance performance .
    > > . . (0.5K, MB/s) (0.5K, MB/s) . (1 MB, MB/s) (1 MB, MB/s) .
    > > . iSER (8 Gb/s network) . 250 N/A . 360 N/A .
    > > . SRP (8 Gb/s network) . N/A 421 . N/A 683 .
    >
    > > On the comparable figures, which only seem to be IPoIB they're showing a
    > > 13-18% variance, aren't they? Which isn't an incredible difference.
    >
    > Maybe I'm all wet, but I think iSER vs. SRP should be roughly
    > comparable. The exact formatting of various messages etc. is
    > different but the data path using RDMA is pretty much identical. So
    > the big difference between STGT iSER and SCST SRP hints at some big
    > difference in the efficiency of the two implementations.

    iSER has parameters to limit the maximum size of RDMA (it needs to
    repeat RDMA with a poor configuration)?

    Anyway, here's the results from Robin Humble:

    iSER to 7G ramfs, x86_64, centos4.6, 2.6.22 kernels, git tgtd,
    initiator end booted with mem=512M, target with 8G ram

    direct i/o dd
    write/read 800/751 MB/s
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=1M count=5000 oflag=direct
    dd of=/dev/null if=/dev/sdc bs=1M count=5000 iflag=direct

    http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org/msg13502.html

    I think that STGT is pretty fast with the fast backing storage.

    I don't think that there is the notable perfornace difference between
    kernel-space and user-space SRP (or ISER) implementations about moving
    data between hosts. IB is expected to enable user-space applications
    to move data between hosts quickly (if not, what can IB provide us?).

    I think that the question is how fast user-space applications can do
    I/Os ccompared with I/Os in kernel space. STGT is eager for the advent
    of good asynchronous I/O and event notification interfances.

    One more possible optimization for STGT is zero-copy data
    transfer. STGT uses pre-registered buffers and move data between page
    cache and thsse buffers, and then does RDMA transfer. If we implement
    own caching mechanism to use pre-registered buffers directly with (AIO
    and O_DIRECT), then STGT can move data without data copies.

      Last update: 2008-01-30 00:35    [W:0.023 / U:64.556 seconds]