    Subject[rfc] exposing MMR's of on-chip peripherals for debugging purposes
    we have guys who maintain xml descriptions of all Blackfin processors.
    these include an exhaustive list of all the peripherals and their
    MMRs. for example, there is an element that binds the address, the
    MMR name (as described in the processor's hardware manual), the bit
    size of it, and all those fun details. i feed these xml files through
    an xsl to generate a C file that populates /sys/kernel/debug/blackfin/
    by using the standard debugfs functions. so when i'm debugging the
    watchdog driver, i can simply go into
    /sys/kernel/debug/blackfin/watchdog/ and see the watchdog-specific
    MMRs and cat/echo them on the fly. it's been quite handy and feedback
    from customers/developers is that it's nicely filled a small void in
    the development process.

    the trouble is that this file currently weighs in at ~1.8 megs. this
    is because it contains all the information for all Blackfin processors
    we support (which currently, is about ~23 variants). it's only going
    to get bigger as we support more. Bryan cringes at the thought of
    submitting it to LKML :). so i'm fishing around for alternatives ...
    the code was originally developed against 2.6.21, so UIO was not a
    possibility. i'm still not sure if it is ... i'd have to research it
    a bit more and play with things.

    any pointers ?

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-01-28 11:19    [W:0.067 / U:13.112 seconds]