SubjectRe: 2.6.24-rc8-rt1: Strange latencies on mpc5200 powerpc
Hi,

I took some time today and went through Wolfgangs scenarios partly. Now
some results from my side. I ran my tests on a 2.6.24-rt1

Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
> I also did some more measurements and made, by chance, interesting
> observations. I will summarize in more detail later on. Here are some
> preliminary results. My high latencies of up to 570us (without latency
> tracer) seem to be caused mainly by the following setting:
>
> CONFIG_RCU_TRACE=m

I also got high latencies without CONFIG_RCU_TRACE set at all. setting
CONFIG_RCU_TRACE to y or m causes also high latency though in my test
runs. Hence I doubt the rcu Tracer is really the problem.

As I mentioned in my last mail. Only thing I could reproduce reliably is
that the measurement results depend heavily on kind of the non-rt
Workload. For with hackbench or cache calibrator I couldn't produce
abnormal high latencies. Nor could I produce the hight latencies on a
system booted via flash. Hence my suspects stays on the fec irq thread
and filesystem access routines.

> With CONFIG_NO_HZ=y or CONFIG_PPC_BESTCOMM_GEN_BD=y the latency
> increases by approx. 100..150us, each.

Since I was producing high latencies independently from the rcu
settings. I didn't spend a lot of time playing around with the GEN_BD
and dynamic clock. All I can say is that disabling them also cause high
latency. ;-) The average results don't differ significantly in my test runs.

cheers
Luotao Fu
--
Dipl.-Ing. Luotao Fu | Phone: +49-5121-206917-3
Entwicklungszentrum Nord http://www.pengutronix.de

  Last update: 2008-01-28 16:15    [W:0.232 / U:0.048 seconds]