SubjectRe: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24
On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 21:22 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greeting;

<snip>
> None were logged during the time I was running an -rc7 or -rc8.
>
> The previous hits on this resulted in the udma speed being downgraded
> till it was actually running in pio just before the freeze that
> required the hardware reset button.
>
> I'll reboot to -rc8 right now and resume. If its the drive, I should see it.
> If not, then 2.6.24 is where I'll point the finger.
>
> Idea's anyone?
I believe there is some sort of bug in libata, not just for this kernel
version.

i run a fileserver with .20, and i get these resets a few times a day..
no freezes though... except when its in progress, then all IO freezes
and locks up applications using it.. but it passes after ~30sec.

i know that since ubuntu started shipping with libata by default for
IDE, a large number of people are seeing these intermittant freezes
aswell(which passes after half a minute or less).

i reported this before, however as far as i know, no reason, and much
less a fix, has been found.

it would be great to get this solved though.