    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.24
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >> The release is out there (both git trees and as tarballs/patches), and for
    >> the next week many kernel developers will be at (or flying into/out of)
    >> LCA in Melbourne, so let's hope it's a good one.
    >
    > Since I already had two kernel developers asking about the merge window
    > and whether people (including me) traveling will impact it, the plan right
    > now is to keep the impact pretty minimal. So yes, it will probably extend
    > the window from the regular two weeks, but *hopefully* not by more than a
    > few days.

    As a tester, I'm not so happy.
    The last few merge windows were a nightmare for us (the tester).
    It remember me the 2.1.x times, but with few differences:
    - more changes, so bugs are unnoticed/ignored in the first weeks or
    - or people are pushing more patches possible, so they delay
    bug corrections to later times (after merge windows).

    If it continues so, I should stop testing the kernel on the
    merge windows (but it seems that other testers already give up
    the early merge phase).

    As a tester I would like:
    - slow merges, so that developer could rebase and test
    (compile test) the interaction of the new code.
    - you will introduce a new step on git management:
    Every changeset is compile-tested before going out to the world.
    I think this can be done automatically, and I think that one or
    two configurations are enough to find most of the problems.

    Happy LCA,
    ciao
    cate

      Last update: 2008-01-25 10:13    [W:3.458 / U:0.172 seconds]