SubjectRe: AACRAID driver broken in 2.6.22.x (and beyond?) [WAS: Re: 2.6.22.16 MD raid1 doesn't mark removed disk faulty, MD thread goes UN]
On Jan 23, 2008 9:28 AM, Salyzyn, Mark <Mark_Salyzyn@adaptec.com> wrote:
> At which version of the kernel did the aacraid driver allegedly first go broken? At which version did it get fixed? (Since 1.1.5-2451 is older than latest represented on kernel.org)

snitzer:
I don't know where the kernel.org aacraid driver first allegedly broke
relative to this drive pull test. All I know is 1.1.5-2451 enables
the driver and raid1 layer to behave as expected at the system level.
That is:
1) the aacraid driver enables the pulled scsi device to be offlined
2) the raid1 layer gets a write failure back from the pulled drive and
marks that raid1 member faulty

The demonstration of this is as follows:
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,27,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,14,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,21,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,25,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,18,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,8,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,23,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,0,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,5,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,1,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,17,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,12,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,3,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,4,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,22,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,11,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,26,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,20,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,2,0)
aacraid: Host adapter abort request (0,0,6,0)
aacraid: Host adapter reset request. SCSI hang ?
AAC: Host adapter BLINK LED 0x7
AAC0: adapter kernel panic'd 7.
AAC0: Non-DASD support enabled.
AAC0: 64 Bit DAC enabled
sd 0:0:27:0: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
sd 0:0:27:0: rejecting I/O to offline device
md: super_written gets error=-5, uptodate=0
raid1: Disk failure on sdab1, disabling device.
Operation continuing on 1 devices
RAID1 conf printout:
--- wd:1 rd:2
disk 0, wo:1, o:0, dev:sdab1
disk 1, wo:0, o:1, dev:nbd2
RAID1 conf printout:
--- wd:1 rd:2
disk 1, wo:0, o:1, dev:nbd2

Clearly the BlinkLED, firmware panic is _not_ good but in the end the
system stays alive and functions as expected.

> How is the SATA disk'd arrayed on the aacraid controller? The controller is limited to generating 24 arrays and since /dev/sdac is the 29th target, it would appear we need more details on your array's topology inside the aacraid controller. If you are using the driver with aacraid.physical=1 and thus using the physical drives directly (in the case of a SATA disk, a SATr0.9 translation in the Firmware), this is not a supported configuration and was added only to enable limited experimentation. If there is a problem in that path in the driver, I will glad to fix it, but still unsupported.

snitzer:
I'm using the 5.2-0 (15206) firmware that is not limited to 24 arrays;
it supports up to 30 AFAIK. All disks are being exported to Linux as
a 'Simple Volume'. I'm not playing games with aacraid.physical=1

Is the 5.2-0 (15206) firmware unsupported on the Adaptec 3085?

I can try the same test with the most current 5.2-0 (15333) firmware
to see if the drive pull behaves any differently with both the
1.1.5-2451 and 2.6.22.16's 1.1-5[2437]-mh4.

> You may need to acquire a diagnostic dump from the controller (Adaptec technical support can advise, it will depend on your application suite) and a report of any error recovery actions reported by the driver in the system log as initiated by the SCSI subsystem.

snitzer:
OK, I can engage Adaptec support on this.

> There are no changes in the I/O path for the aacraid driver. Due to the simplicity of the I/O path to the processor based controller, it is unlikely to be an issue in this path. There have been several changes in the driver to deal with error recovery actions initiated by the SCSI subsystem. One likely candidate was to extend the default SCSI layer timeout because it was shorter than the adapter's firmware timeout. You can check if this is the issue by manually increasing the timeout for the target(s) via sysfs. There were recent patches to deal with orphaned commands resulting from devices being taken offline by the SCSI layer. There has been changes in the driver to reset the controller should it go into a BlinkLED (Firmware Assert) state. The symptom also acts like a condition in the older drivers (pre 08/08/2006 on scsi-misc-2.6, showing up in 2.6.20.4) which did not reset the adapter when it entered the BlinkLED state and merely allowed the system to lock, but alas you are working with a driver with this reset fix in the version you report. A BlinkLED condition generally indicates a serious hardware problem or target incompatibility; and is generally rare as they are a result of corner case conditions within the Adapter Firmware. The diagnostic dump reported by the Adaptec utilities should be able to point to the fault you are experiencing if these appear to be the root causes.

snitzer:
It would seem that 1.1.5-2451 has the firmware reset support given the
log I provided above, no? Anyway, with 2.6.22.16 when a drive is
pulled using the aacraid 1.1-5[2437]-mh4 there is absolutely no errors
from the aacraid driver; in fact the scsi layer doesn't see anything
until I force the issue with explicit reads/writes to the device that
was pulled. It could be that on a drive pull the 1.1.5-2451 driver
results in a BlinkLED, resets the firmware, and continues. Whereas
with the 1.1-5[2437]-mh4 I get no BlinkLED and as such Linux (both
scsi and raid1) is completely unaware of any disconnect of the
physical device.

thanks,
Mike

  Last update: 2008-01-23 16:59    [W:0.065 / U:0.112 seconds]