    SubjectRe: Linux and remote control device
    On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 09:01:10AM +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'd like to add support for my Infrared remote control to Linux.
    > So far I only see LIRCD project that make the kernel support
    > such device but I'm not sure if this project is the best choice
    > since it's not part of mainline kernels. And there are certainly
    > good reasons which I'm not aware of.
    > Another possibility is to make the remote controle device an input
    > device. But I see several flaws:
    > - The IR receiver on my board can't be use as a transmitter any
    > more

    The input subsystem moves events in both directions. It would need some
    additional hacking to work with IR transmitters, but it might be

    > - All scancodes are embedded in the kernel.

    While they reside in the kernel, they can be changed from userspace.

    > Do you think it's still the way to go despite the 2 points raised above ?

    It might be, but I'm not 100% convinced either.

    Vojtech Pavlik
    Director SuSE Labs

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-01-22 09:55    [W:1.106 / U:0.004 seconds]