SubjectRe: Massive IDE problems. Who leaves data here?
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:40:21 +0100
Manuel Reimer <Manuel.Spam@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > If your IDE interface is complaining about BadCRC errors, then it's
> > complaining about hardware problems (bad cable, etc.)
>
> The cable already has been replaced three times. I even got sure to
> *not* bend the cable. This all doesn't help.
>
> May a bad cable really cause corrupted data?

Yes, or dodgy connectors or other problems. The CRC itself is computed by
the hardware each end so a BadCRC error really means the two ends
disagree about the data.

That is *usually* a cable/electrical noise problem. It can be power and
it can occasionally show up if the software misprograms the timing so the
two ends are a bit out of sync.

Alan

  Last update: 2008-01-22 23:31    [W:0.312 / U:0.016 seconds]