    SubjectRe: [patch 07/10] unprivileged mounts: add sysctl tunable for "safe" property
    Quoting Miklos Szeredi (
    > > What do you think about doing this only if FS_SAFE is also set,
    > > so for instance at first only FUSE would allow itself to be
    > > made user-mountable?
    > >
    > > A safe thing to do, or overly intrusive?
    > It goes somewhat against the "no policy in kernel" policy ;). I think
    > the warning in the documentation should be enough to make sysadmins
    > think twice before doing anything foolish:

    Warning in which documentation? A sysadmin considering setting fs_safe
    for ext2 or xfs isn't going to be looking at fuse docs, which I think is
    what you're talking about. Are you going to add a file under

    > > +Care should be taken when enabling this, since most
    > > +filesystems haven't been designed with unprivileged mounting
    > > +in mind.
    > > +
    > BTW, filesystems like 'proc' and 'sysfs' should also be safe, although
    > the only use for them being marked safe is if the users are allowed to
    > umount them from their private namespace (otherwise a 'mount --bind'
    > has the same effect as a new mount).
    > Thanks,
    > Miklos

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-01-22 21:51    [W:0.035 / U:11.708 seconds]