    SubjectRe: 2.6.24-rc7-rt2

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Steven Rostedt wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Steven Rostedt wrote:
    >>
    >> We modified mcount now, and it is derived from an objdump of glibc. So
    >> this is most definitely a "derived" work from glibc. But glibc is licensed
    >> as LGPL, which IIRC allows for non GPL to link to it.
    >>
    >> I personally could care less if we use EXPORT_SYMBOL or EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.
    >> But I really want to do The Right Thing(tm). I'm not a lawyer and don't
    >> claim that I know anything about the law, but I'm leaning towards the non
    >> _GPL version because the code was from LGPL and not from strict GPL.
    >
    > Sorry folks, I'm going to stick with the _GPL version. It doesn't mean
    > that you can't still load your nVidia module into -rt. I just means you
    > can't turn on function trace and then load it. Well, you might if you
    > don't compile the nVidia wrapper against it with function trace on.
    >
    > The reason simply is to cover my butt. By limiting it to GPL, I'm fine.
    > Even if the original author didn't care. But by opening it up to external
    > prorietary modules, I may be considered infringing on the license.
    >
    > So, unless I hear from a lawyer that is willing to back me up on a non
    > _GPL export publically, the mcount function will stay as an
    > EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.
    >
    > Note: There is a definite reason for this change. The previous version
    > of mcount was written by Ingo Molnar, and he added the export. I've
    > changed mcount to be closer to the glibc code (which I derived it from),
    > so the change in EXPORT type is legitimate.
    >
    > -- Steve

    Please, tell what in the license forbids me to make a global replacement
    EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL -> EXPORT_SYMBOL and distribute the result?

    For me, on the other hand, it is against the spirit of free software to
    actively make a block for people to do what ever they want with the code
    when they are only doing it to themselves. That includes loading non-GPL
    software into the kernel. The only thing they are not allowed to do is to
    distribute it and in that way "hurt" other people.

    Esben

    > -
    > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-rt-users" in

      Last update: 2008-01-21 12:33    [W:0.024 / U:0.020 seconds]