SubjectRe: PROBLEM: Celeron Core
Matt Mackall wrote:
> Your usage of "overall power" here is wrong. Power is an instantaneous
> quantity (1/s) like velocity, and you are comparing it to energy which
> is not an instaneous quantity, more like distance.
>
> If we throttle the velocity of a car from 100km/h to 50km/h, it'll
> obviously take longer for it travel a given distance. Now what will it
> mean when we ask about its "overall velocity" when it reaches its
> destination? We surely don't mean the distance travelled - that's not a
> velocity! We can perhaps talk about its average velocity, which will
> obviously be smaller.

You are right.. it should be that overall energy usage is higher with
clock throttling.

>> Real CPU clock throttling schemes like SpeedStep, PowerNow, etc.
>> actually do increase performance per watt when they kick in.
>
> That may be true. But the statement "throttling does not reduce power
> usage" remains false. And the statement "throttling reduces heat
> production but not power usage" remains physically impossible.

It reduces the rate of power usage (watts), however it will likely not
decreate or even increase the energy usage (i.e. watt-hours) of any
given computational task.

> It might be true that "throttling increases energy usage per unit of
> computation relative to no power saving measures at all", but that is
> not incompatible with "throttling lets you run your laptop on battery
> longer than no power saving measures at all", which is often what people
> care about.
>
> Voltage/frequency reduction is obviously a much better solution if it's
> available as reducing voltage reduces power usage quadratically rather
> than linearly. But beyond the quadratic/linear thing, the concept is the
> same: use less power and your battery lasts longer.

Clock throttling is not likely to save your battery, unless you have
tasks that are running at 100% CPU for an unlimited time or something,
and you force your CPU to throttle. Normally most people have tasks that
run and then the CPU idles - loading an email, displaying a web page,
etc. Clock throttling will just make these tasks utilize the CPU for a
longer time proportional to the amount clock throttling and therefore
negate any gains in battery usage.

  Last update: 2008-01-20 20:27    [W:0.105 / U:0.260 seconds]