    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] [FEATURE REQUEST] Transparent hot plugging of root file system on portable storage devices.
    On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Oliver Neukum wrote:

    > Am Dienstag 01 Januar 2008 schrieb Pavel Machek:
    > > Hi1
    > >
    > > > I would like to request a feature in the Linux kernel that would allow
    > > > a user to unplug a live read-only root file system which exists on a
    > > > detachable storage device such as a USB key drive. The desired
    > > > behavior is that once the same device is reattached to the computer
    > > > the user can continue work transparently without having to reboot.
    > > >
    > > > Having such a feature is becoming more important with advances in
    > > > detachable solid state drive technology.
    > >
    > > Yep, that would be nice.... In fact, patch would be very welcome :-).
    >
    > Use the USB persist feature and hibernate. It should work. If you modify
    > the fs in any way, you'll crash and burn. Unmounting / is harder which you
    > need if you want to do this safely.

    What about people who prefer (for reasons of restart latency or
    non-availability of swap space) to suspend rather than hibernate?

    Alan Stern

      Last update: 2008-01-02 21:25    [W:0.021 / U:93.416 seconds]