SubjectRe: [patch] Converting writeback linked lists to a tree based data structure
We have some code internally that does just this, though it slightly
abuses struct page by tagging pages with the highest priority that
dirties them.

I'm not sure what a better solution is, though there has been talk about
rewritting it to use a per mapping radix tree to keep mem_map small.

The idea is to mark current->ioprio into each page as they are dirtied,
higher priority overrides lower priority. Buffer_heads are done in the
same way.

Come IO submission, bio's get the highest IO priority associated with
the submitted pages/buffer_heads and these are passed into the the
struct request's into the scheduler.

Similar changes are underway for making sure all AIO get the right ioprios.

It will take some cleaning to get it ready for lkml submission, though
I'm still a bit unsure of what we should do to avoid struct page growth.

Mike Waychison