    SubjectRe: [Announce] Development release 0.1 of the LatencyTOP tool

    On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 09:36 -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > The Intel Open Source Technology Center is pleased to announce the
    > release of version 0.1 of LatencyTOP, a tool for developers to visualize
    > system latencies.
    >
    > http://www.latencytop.org
    >
    > Slow servers, Skipping audio, Jerky video --everyone knows the symptoms
    > of latency. But to know what's really going on in the system, what's causing
    > the latency, and how to fix it... those are difficult questions without
    > good answers right now.
    [cut]

    Just curious...

    My biggest latency problems (as observed by me, the user) happen when a
    program needs memory, or launching a new program, and the kernel begins
    forces dirty memory to disk. This results in an unholy seek storm of
    mixed writes (flushing, maybe a little swap) and reads (new program
    this as well.

    I don't suppose LatencyTop would help track anything down in that case,
    would it?
    --
    Zan Lynx <zlynx@acm.org>

      Last update: 2008-01-18 20:05    [W:0.020 / U:0.572 seconds]