SubjectRe: Why is the kfree() argument const?
Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> And to demostrate that Linus is not the only person
> with this view, I copy some paragraphs from C99 rationale
> (you can find standard, rationale and other documents
> in http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_standardisation:ISO )
>
> Page 75 of C99 rationale:
>
> Type qualifiers were introduced in part to provide greater control over optimization. Several
> important optimization techniques are based on the principle of "cacheing": under certain
> circumstances the compiler can remember the last value accessed (read or written) from a
> location, and use this retained value the next time that location is read. (The memory, or
> "cache", is typically a hardware register.) If this memory is a machine register, for instance, the
> code can be smaller and faster using the register rather than accessing external memory.
> The basic qualifiers can be characterized by the restrictions they impose on access and
> cacheing:
>
> const No writes through this lvalue. In the absence of this qualifier, writes may occur
> through this lvalue.

I'd say this implies the exact opposite. It almost sounds like the
compiler is free to change:

void foo(const int *x);
foo(x);
printf("%d", x);

to:

void foo(const int *x);
printf("%d", x);
foo(x);

especially if it can prove that the pointer to x doesn't otherwise
escape or that foo doesn't call anything that could see the pointer (and
given that gcc has special magical markings for malloc, one way this
could be "proven" is to have x be some freshly malloced object.

If foo is kfree, then the above transformation is clearly invalid.

(Note that this isn't just a problem for optimizers -- a programmer
might expect that passing a pointer to a function that takes a const
pointer argument does not, in and of itself, change the pointed-to
value. Given that const certainly does not mean that no one else
changes the object, I'm not sure what else it could mean. kfree does
not have either property, so I'm don't think it makes sense for it to
take a const argument.)

--Andy