SubjectRe: [patch] VFS: extend /proc/mounts
On Thursday January 17, jengelh@computergmbh.de wrote:

> On Jan 17 2008 00:43, Karel Zak wrote:
> >>
> >> Seems like a plain bad idea to me. There will be any number of home-made
> >> /proc/mounts parsers and we don't know what they do.
> >
> > So, let's use /proc/mounts_v2 ;-)
>
> Was not it like "don't use /proc for new things"?

I thought it was "don't use /proc for new things that aren't process
related".

And as the mount table is per process......

A host has a bunch of mounted filesystems (struct super_block), and
each process has some subset of these stitched together into a mount
tree (struct vfsmount / struct namespace).

There needs to be something in /proc that exposes the vfsmount tree.

Arguably there should be something else - maybe in sysfs - that
provides access to the "struct superblock" object.

And there needs to be a clear way to relate information from one with
information from the other.

In the tradition of stat, statm, status, maybe the former should be
/proc/$PID/mountm
:-)

Hey, I just found /proc/X/mountstats. How does this fit in to the big
picture?

NeilBrown

  Last update: 2008-01-17 01:35    [W:0.301 / U:1.708 seconds]