SubjectRe: -mm: pnp-do-not-stop-start-devices-in-suspend-resume-path.patch breaks resuming isapnp cards
On 16-01-08 18:46, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 12:51:35 am Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

>> Ok, something to explain. These flags exists to allow drivers to
>> manually configure (override) PnP resources at init time - we know - for
>> example in ALSA - that some combinations simply does not work for all
>> soundcards.
>>
>> The DISABLE flags simply tells core PnP layer - driver will handle
>> resource allocation itself, don't do anything, just disable hw physically
>> and do not change (allocate) any resources. Value 0x03 is valid in this
>> semantics.
>
> It looks like sound drivers use PNP_DRIVER_RES_DISABLE to say "ignore
> what PNP tells us about resource usage and we'll just use the compiled-
> in or command-line-specified resources".
>
> The main reason to do that would be to work around BIOS defects or
> to work around deficiencies in the Linux PNP infrastructure (e.g.,
> maybe we erroneously place another device on top of the sound card
> or something).
>
> I'm just suspicious because PNP_DRIVER_RES_DISABLE is only used in
> sound drivers. If it's to work around BIOS defects, why wouldn't
> other PNP drivers need it sometimes, too? And wouldn't it be better
> to use PNP quirks for BIOS workarounds?

Yes. The manual resource setting was recently removed from the ALSA drivers
and I'd expect this can now go as a package-deal.

>> Unfortunately, suspend / resume complicates things a bit, but PnP core can
>> handle DO_NOT_CHANGE flag. But it will just mean - _preserve_ resource
>> allocation from last suspend state for this device and enable hw
>> physically before calling resume() callback.
>
> When resuming, wouldn't we *always* want to preserve the resource
> allocation from the last suspend, regardless of whether
> PNP_DRIVER_RES_DO_NOT_CHANGE is specified?

Yes.

> Linux PNP definitely has issues with suspend/resume, and I suspect
> this is one of them.

Rene.

  Last update: 2008-01-16 19:23    [W:1.186 / U:0.000 seconds]