    SubjectRe: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driver opt-in
    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 07:43:11 -0500
    Tony Camuso <tcamuso@redhat.com> wrote:

    > Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:36:59 -0500
    > > Tony Camuso <tcamuso@redhat.com> wrote:
    > >

    > > Just about NOBODY has devices that need the extended config space.
    > > At all.
    >
    > The PCI express spec requires the platform to provide access to this
    > space for express-compliance.

    PLATFORM not OS :)
    Windows isn't using it in the server space, and only in the client space it recently started
    considering it.

    > More devices will be using this space
    > as express becomes the dominant IO bus technology.

    sure in like 2009 maybe.

    > Which is why Loic's proposal and Ivan's implementation of it is so
    > elegant. It solves all these problems in one sweep, and eliminates
    > the code rendered cruft by Ivan's patch. A two-fer, by my reckoning.
    >
    > >> In other words, for x86, I don't think we need to worry about Port
    > >> IO config access ever going away at all.
    > >
    > > You're wrong there. Sad to say, but you're wrong there.
    > >

    > The PCI spec provides for conf1 as an architected solution. It's not
    > going away, and especially not in x86 land where Port IO is built-in
    > to the CPU.

    again sadly you're wrong.

    --
    If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
    visit http://www.lesswatts.org

      Last update: 2008-01-13 18:07    [W:2.663 / U:0.032 seconds]