SubjectRe: sata_nv does not function in kernel > 2.6.20.21
Matthew Hall wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 11:40:47PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Error -16 is EBUSY, which causes the driver load to fail due to the "Unable
>> to reserve mem region" message.
>>
>> This means that the sata_nv driver needed to use PCI BAR 6, but was unable
>> to for some reason. Given that sata_nv uses devres like other libata
>> drivers, IMO the likely cause is outside the ATA subsystem (PCI? ACPI?).
>
> I will follow up on this with the appropriate subsystem lists ASAP.
> Thanks for getting me redirected appropriately.
>
>> One workaround to try is setting sata_nv module option 'adma' to zero (0),
>> in the hopes that it ignores that final region and work anyway.
>
> I am not quite sure what to do about this part... my boot device for the
> system is on one of the sata_nv channels which remains functional and
> does not get disabled by the resource conflict.
>
> How shall I best attempt the suggested workaround without having to
> delete the sata_nv driver from the kernel thus rendering the kernel
> unbootable on this machine? Is there some way to pass the appropriate
> option at boot instead of at module load time or some file I could
> modify to enable the specified option in the code?

If you build the driver into the kernel, then pass "sata_nv.adma=0" on
the kernel command line.

Otherwise, look into how your distro sets module options... probably
editing /etc/modprobe.conf. You may need to regenerate critical boot
files such as initramfs (aka initrd) afterwards, again distro specific
(try mkinitrd). Set module option "adma=0" for the sata_nv module.

Jeff

  Last update: 2008-01-10 06:49    [W:0.060 / U:4.264 seconds]