    SubjectRe: What's in store for 2008 for TuxOnIce?
    Date
    On Tuesday, 1 of January 2008, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
    > Hi all.

    Hi Nigel,

    > With the start of a new year, I suppose it's a good time to think about
    > what I'd like to do with TuxOnIce this year and see what feedback I get.
    >
    > First up, I'm thinking about closing the mailing lists and asking people
    > to use LKML instead for reporting issues and so on. I'm thinking about
    > this because it will help with allowing people who work on mainline to
    > see how stable (or otherwise!) TuxOnIce is now. It should also help when
    > (as often happens) bug reports aren't actually issues with the patch,
    > but with vanilla (ie drivers).

    I would also like the TuxOnIce issues related to drivers, ACPI, etc. to go to
    one of the kernel-related lists, but I think linux-pm may be better for that
    due to the much lower traffic.

    > Perhaps it will also help with whatever effort I find time to make towards
    > convincing Andrew that it really does have significant advantages over
    > [u]swsusp and kexec based hibernation.
    >
    > Secondly, I'm planning on moving the website soonish. It's taken longer
    > than I planned because it will be sharing with another server I'm
    > maintaining, and it has taken longer than expected to find good hosting
    > for the other server (which was done first). Now that I'm happy with the
    > other server's state, I'm hoping to start shifting
    > suspend2.net/tuxonice.net soon.
    >
    > For those who might be looking for hosting themselves, I'm using
    > slicehost. I initially tried GoDaddy, but had terrible service, problems
    > with draconian limits on the volume of outgoing email (1000/day by
    > default - useless if you're doing mailing lists) and unexpected,
    > unexplained delays in mail delivery through the SMTP delay they force
    > you to use. Slicehost, on the other hand, are terrific to deal with in
    > everyway. If you sign up with them because of this email, please
    > consider putting my email (nigel at suspend2.net) as the referrer - I
    > then get a discount on the cost of the hosting.
    >
    > Third, regarding the patch itself, I'm taking my time in working towards
    > the 3.0 release. We don't have any major bugs with 3.0-rc3 reported, but
    > I have some things I want to complete before the final release:
    > * see it well tested;
    > * get a finished initial version of the cluster support;
    > * finish completing support for the new resume-from-other kernels
    > functionality that Rafael has added in 2.6.24. (We can resume from the
    > same kernel at the moment, but I need to convince myself that nosave
    > data is properly handled).

    Have you finished the support for freezing filesystems before freezing tasks
    that we talked about some time ago?

    Greetings,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2008-01-02 00:23    [W:0.024 / U:125.464 seconds]