    SubjectRe: huge improvement with per-device dirty throttling

    --- Andrea Arcangeli <> wrote:

    > On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 01:05:13PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > > Ok perhaps the new adaptive dirty limits helps your single disk
    > > a lot too. But your improvements seem to be more "collateral
    > damage" @)
    > >
    > > But if that was true it might be enough to just change the dirty
    > limits
    > > to get the same effect on your system. You might want to play with
    > > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_*
    > The adaptive dirty limit is per task so it can't be reproduced with
    > global sysctl. It made quite some difference when I researched into
    > it
    > in function of time. This isn't in function of time but it certainly
    > makes a lot of difference too, actually it's the most important part
    > of the patchset for most people, the rest is for the corner cases
    > that

    > aren't handled right currently (writing to a slow device with
    > writeback cache has always been hanging the whole thing).

    didn't see that remark before. I just realized that "slow device with
    writeback cache" pretty well describes the CCISS controller in the
    DL380g4. Could you elaborate why that is a problematic case?

    Martin Knoblauch
    email: k n o b i AT knobisoft DOT de

      Last update: 2007-09-05 10:57    [W:0.020 / U:8.844 seconds]