    SubjectRe: getting FUSD compiled with current kernels
    On Sunday 30 September 2007, Lee Revell wrote:
    > On 9/29/07, Florian Schmidt <> wrote:
    > > My goal is to hack up oss2jack [3] to use ALSA pcm devices.. And a later
    > > goal is to create a virtual ALSA soundcard [which would multiplex access
    > > to a real non hw-mixing capable soundcard] to finally end the dmix
    > > software mixing woes linux users have to endure for the last years :)
    > What problems with ALSA's userspace mixing are you trying to solve?

    I think that for example the aoss approach to providing software mixing to OSS
    apps is fundamentally flawed. The LD_PRELOAD_LIBRARY mechanism does not work
    for all applications. The OSS emultion in ALSA that does work for pretty much
    all OSS apps is the kernel level OSS emulation [which directly provides the
    OSS conform device files] sitting directly on an ALSA device driver module.
    Having a virtual ALSA soundcard which would route back to userspace one could
    make the OSS emu use this device instead providing to-userspace routing of
    all OSS apps..

    The same argument, though in a weaker form holds for badly coded ALSA apps
    which open soundcards "directly" via "hw:0" pcm device names. It would be
    cool, if these could be made to play nice trivially. Here again, a virtual
    ALSA device which routes back to userspace would be great..

    Simply make the virtual device card 0 in the system..

    Dmix wouldn't be obsoleted by this at all. I'm not sure on the details (still
    learning), but the virtual ALSA device routing the signal back to user space
    could then in turn use dmix on a real alsa device to provide the sw mixing
    (it would indeed be a very thin userspace driver as it basically directly
    uses an ALSA pcm as "slave")..

    This is not thought of as a replacement for ALSA userspace libasound2.. Not at
    all. It's just a cool thing to have (tm) in many situations, solving these
    cases which drive some ALSA users (me included) nuts :)

    Palimm Palimm!

      Last update: 2007-09-30 14:53    [W:0.023 / U:0.644 seconds]