    SubjectRe: [RFC] Extending kbuild syntax
    On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 05:02:58AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 10:11:45PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    > > The second is the more controversial suggestion.
    > > In several Makefile we have simple if expression of the variants:
    > > if ($(CONFIG_FOO),y)
    > > obj-$(CONFIG_BAR) += fubar.o
    > > endif
    > >
    > > The pattern varies over this theme.
    > > The suggestion here is to introduce a few helpers:
    > >
    > > obj-y-if-$(CONFIG_FOO) += fubar.o
    > > This one shall read:
    > > if $(CONFIG_FOO) is y or m then set += to obj-y
    >
    > IMHO for people who are not kbuild junkies the pattern is more clear
    > with the current syntax.
    >
    > But you should better ask some guinea pigs who have not already seen as
    > many kernel Makefiles as I have...

    Target group are for kernel developers and people who have
    actually read Documentation/kbuild/makefiles.txt

    But point taken - this is too 'magic'.
    I will try to think of something that looks a bit more straightforward.

    > Some of the cases have the following pattern:
    >
    > config X86_POWERNOW_K8_ACPI
    > bool
    > depends on X86_POWERNOW_K8 && ACPI_PROCESSOR
    > depends on !(X86_POWERNOW_K8 = y && ACPI_PROCESSOR = m)
    > default y
    >
    > Your suggested syntax has to be enhanced with three additional
    > variables for handling such cases.
    >

    > The complicated cases can be handled either in kconfig or in kbuild,
    > and I think kconfig is the better place for them:

    The kbuild enhancements are for the cases where it
    makes less sense to express this in Kconfig.
    They are not thought as replacing Kconfig dependencies in any way.

    I will try to come up with a new proposal later today.

    Sam

      Last update: 2007-09-30 12:31    [W:0.023 / U:0.580 seconds]