    SubjectRe: A unresponsive file system can hang all I/O in the system on linux-2.6.23-rc6 (dirty_thresh problem?)
    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:32:18 -0400
    Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no> wrote:

    > On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 13:10 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:52:28 -0400
    > > Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no> wrote:

    > > > I'm not sure that the hang that is illustrated here is so special. It is
    > > > an example of a bog-standard ext3 write, that ends up calling the NFS
    > > > client, which is hanging. The fact that it happens to be hanging on the
    > > > nfsd process is more or less irrelevant here: the same thing could
    > > > happen to any other process in the case where we have an NFS server that
    > > > is down.
    > >
    > > hm, so ext3 got stuck in nfs via __alloc_pages direct reclaim?
    > >
    > > We should be able to fix that by marking the backing device as
    > > write-congested. That'll have small race windows, but it should be a 99.9%
    > > fix?
    >
    > No. The problem would rather appear to be that we're doing
    > per-backing_dev writeback (if I read sync_sb_inodes() correctly), but
    > we're measuring variables which are global to the VM. The backing device
    > that we are selecting may not be writing out any dirty pages, in which
    > case, we're just spinning in balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited().

    OK, so it's unrelated to page reclaim.

    > Should we therefore perhaps be looking at adding per-backing_dev stats
    > too?

    That's what mm-per-device-dirty-threshold.patch and friends are doing.
    Whether it works adequately is not really known at this time.
    Unfortunately kernel developers don't test -mm much.

      Last update: 2007-09-28 22:47    [W:0.028 / U:151.560 seconds]