    SubjectRe: A unresponsive file system can hang all I/O in the system on linux-2.6.23-rc6 (dirty_thresh problem?)
    On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 23:50 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > Actually we perhaps could address this at the VFS level in another way.
    > Processes which are writing to the dead NFS server will eventually block in
    > balance_dirty_pages() once they've exceeded the memory limits and will
    > remain blocked until the server wakes up - that's the behaviour we want.
    >
    > What we _don't_ want to happen is for other processes which are writing to
    > other, non-dead devices to get collaterally blocked. We have patches which
    > might fix that queued for 2.6.24. Peter?

    Do these patches also cause the memory reclaimers to steer clear of
    devices that are congested (and stop waiting on a congested device if
    they see that it remains congested for a long period of time)? Most of
    the collateral blocking I see tends to happen in memory allocation...

    Cheers
    Trond

      Last update: 2007-09-28 19:03    [W:0.022 / U:60.188 seconds]